My photo
AB, Canada
I am fortunate enough to have my dream job of staying at home with my two beautiful daughters. I've been happily married for 6 years and counting! I am a lover of all things french, all things pink, and anything that sparkles. Serioulsy, my husband calls me a crow. I love baking, crafting and throwing big parties, especially if they have a theme. Right now, I'm in love Pinterest. My Hero is Heather from Sprinkle Bakes and my mom.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Mini Angel Food Cake

I made mini angel food cupcakes.
And when I say 'made', I mean I used a boxed mix.
Simply because I haven't had angel food cake in forever.
Any one remember that zingy feeling the batter makes on your tongue?


I love that.
But I also like the feeling of chewing on tinfoil.
I ate white glue in Kindergarten.
Leave me be.


Needless to say whipping up a simple angel food cake made me all nostalgic.
So I dug out my old Joy of Cooking book and found an old fashioned boiled icing recipe to top it off...
Get it?
  TOP it off...
I'm funny. 

Speaking of funny, look at my little peanut.
What a card.


And then there's this little bug!
She's not looking adoringly up at me.
Nope she's got her eyes on the cupcakes!


Here's what you need to make 
Mini Angel Food Cupcakes with White Mountain Icing.

1 box of angel food cake mix
Water 

1. Follow the instructions on the back of the cake mix box.
2. Line your muffin tins with papers, I used mini, but in hindsight, it made a buh-gillion of mini cupcakes.
I suggest making normal sized cupcakes.
3. Fill your paper liners with batter and bake according to box instructions.
4. When done, remove and place on a cooling rack. Cool completely.

Icing:
1 tablespoon of white corn syrup
1 cup of water
1/3 cup of water
1 egg white
1 teaspoon of vanilla


1. Place the first 3 ingredients in a medium small sauce pan, cook until the the mixture boils rapidly.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg white for 2 minutes on high speed.
3. Add 3 tablespoons of the boiling syrup to the mixing bowl and continue beating.
4. Continue to boil the remaining syrup until mixture reaches 238-240 degrees.
5. Pour the remainder of syrup to the egg white mixture, gradually.
6. Add vanilla
7. Beat at high speed for another 4-6 minutes, until smooth and spreadable.

 Spread a small amount onto your cooled little cupcakes.
And I mean a little.
These puppies are SA-WEET.


I dunked mine in some shredded coconut.


Then sprinkled them with some disco dust.
I really only want to make things that I can dust with my sparkles.


Go and make some angel food cake.
You'll thank me.

2 comments:

The Alexanders said...

CUTE!! And I bet they are crazy yummy too!

Ali said...

Man Stac, they were so yummy! I had just trimmed my nails and couldn't get the wrapper off....I must have looked like a rabid raccoon trying to get into them!! Ben thought it was pretty funny watching me.