My photo
AB, Canada
I am fortunate enough to have my dream job of staying at home with my two beautiful daughters. I've been happily married for 6 years and counting! I am a lover of all things french, all things pink, and anything that sparkles. Serioulsy, my husband calls me a crow. I love baking, crafting and throwing big parties, especially if they have a theme. Right now, I'm in love Pinterest. My Hero is Heather from Sprinkle Bakes and my mom.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

On the Third Day of Love.....

This post is taking me forever to start because I actually have 2 kidlets napping, so I can guilt free watch Nothing But Trailers. I'm that luny that want to be an hour early to a movie so I can catch all the nerdy trivia they play before the movie starts as well as the all the previews. I usually forget what movie we're going to see because I'm so excited for the movies that aren't even out yet!

 OK OK, on with the love fest . . . . Love of sugar, that is!

On the third day of love, my true love brought to me... Cinnamon Heart Meringues!
I love the versatility of a good meringue recipe. One that you can whip up (literally) in a few minutes and add color or flavour and then pipe them or just dump it out of a cookie sheet and bake away!
Just a few simple ingredients that I had in my pantry and some eggs, which I did have to go out to buy after  I discovered Ben had used a WHOLE carton for breakfast and burnt the first batch (this is because he cooks on gas mark 19 instead of 2.) makes a simple and elegant treat that is a perfect side to any Latte or cup of tea.

Pre-heat oven to 225 degrees. (seems low, but it's true)
Just 3 egg whites
1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
3/4 cup of super fine sugar (I used regular sugar but blitzed it in a food processor)
1 tsp of cinnamon. I used Vietnamese cinnamon, I've been told it has a warmer taste and I totally fell for it. But truthfully, you can use whatever you've got.
Red or pink food coloring, I like the gel kind, makes me feel all Martha-y.




I split the it into 2 batches so I could color them light pink and dark pink.



Whip the egg whites on medium speed until frothy.
Add cream of tartar.
Whip until soft peaks form. 
Add sugar 1-2 tablespoons at a time.
Whip until the mixture is glossy, smooth and form stiff peaks.
Stir in cinnamon.


You can drop this mixture by the spoonful or you can pipe the meringue like I did into what ever shape you want. I chose hearts, and some X's and O's. But you could do anything, any color of any occasion. I told you it was versatile!!

Bake for 1 hour, then turn off oven and leave inside for 2-3 hours. I peaked a bunch and took them out after 2 hours, probably why they cracked?? Or maybe my oven is too dry, if that's possible.

Pre-Oven..


Baked and all shimmered up! I used Pink Pearl dust from Wilton (AKA Drink Sparkles!)


These have a really delicate cinnamon flavour, not strong like the heart candies. They melt in your mouth and are delish! 

Just a side note, if you don't want to use cinnamon, they are AMAZING with out it!

1 comment:

The Alexanders said...

so cute!! DId you "paint" the shimmer on?